9.08.2004

[Sci-Fi] Let Star Trek die...please!

I was reading this nytimes article and it made me reflect that perhaps the Star Trek franchise should go the way of the Dodo.

I have loved Star Trek since my father first showed it to me when I was very young. I was/am a Sci-Fi geek who loves Dr Who (Tom Baker years mainly), Blake 7, Star Trek (TNG + DS9 over ToS and Voyager), and Star Wars (thank you for raping my childhood Lucas with ep1 and 2, but they are your films and it is your perogative). I have watched every Star Trek movie, but after such bombs as Nemesis and with Berman's dellusions of grandeur with 'Enterprise' I really think it is time to let things die off for 10-20 years if not for good.

Viacom has announced that a MMORPG is in the works, but I think my friend put it best:

(09:54:37) Kionel: Wee! I get to be a red shirt!
(09:55:02) Kionel: And I'm not taking orders from some 45 hour-per-week-player-loser.
(09:55:06) Kionel: Fuck that.
(09:55:11) Kionel: Fuck it right in the ear.

Power corrupts and 45-hours-per-week corrupts absolutely.


1 comment:

AllThingsSpring said...

Trek has been mostly dead to me since about Season 5 or 6 of TNG (about a decade ago). If Paramount ever wants to be able to recapture the glory (not to mention renewed revenue) of the Trek franchise, a 10-15 year hiatus is a good thing. Give it a generation, let the harshness of today's bad trek (cough enterprise cough) mellow and fade in our memory, then hire some decent writers when they decide to bring it back to life. It is a burned out franchise, and even the most brilliant writers probably could not lift it above the level of 'worn-out-feeling' that Trek has right now. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.