10.06.2004

[Ramblings] Slow week

I know I have not posted much lately. Been busy with the 'Distributed Life (tm)' and the toil that I call work. So I guess I am just wasting everyone who bothers to read this time.

Last weekend my wife and I went to go see the movie 'Shaun of the Dead', I have to say best zombie movie I have seen in a while. Very cheeky and well done. I would rank my favorite zombie movies as:

1) Dawn of the Dead (original 1960s version)
2) Shaun of the Dead
3) Bad Taste
4) Dead Alive
5) Evil Dead series

People have told me I should see 'Bio Zombie' and a few have recommended 'Chopper Chicks from Zombietown'. My wife says I am obsessed with zombie movies. I just like them is all. I also like dystopia/alternate reality movies and my top 5 of them are:

1) Clockwork Orange
2) 1984
3) Brazil
4) Matrix (first movie)
5) THX-1138



5 comments:

AnonymousCog said...

You left out Farhenheit 451. Not that great of a movie, but a hell of a book. I read "Brave New World", didn't felt it had as much to offer as my absolute favorite 1984. Have you read "The Iron Boot" by Jack London? It was fiction about the development of a fascist America.

Sorry...Didnt mean to get on a rant.

Pernox said...

I will add "The Iron Boot" to my list of books to read, sounds interesting. I realize that I also forgot "Harrison Bergeron" which starred Sean Astin and was very good.

On a side note here is a snapshot of what I am currently reading on my nightstand:

Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman

Star Wars - Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn (4th rereading)

Dune by Frank Herbert (I read this at least once per year)

Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkein

Imperial Hubris by Anonymous

The 9/11 Commision Report by the 9/11 Commission (very enlightening)

Since cancelling cable a month ago I have read 9 novels (the complete Star Wars X-wing series) and have started a bunch of books I've had waiting for years.

AnonymousCog said...

Damn, you do some real reading...
I tried reading Dune when I was 16 and didn't get it(like a lot of things). I may get it now. I read 1984 once a year.

During the summer I always try to read a couple of books. This year I read "Watership Down" and "Wind in the Willows". I adored them both, but especially "Watership Down". I would have never thought a book about a bunch of rabbits could be such a non-stop page turner with such a far reaching philosophical buffet of sociology and philosophy.

Enjoy your work.

See ya,

AC

Pernox said...

I heard somewhere that the 'Wind and the Willows' had been 'updated' for modern audiences, that is it has been highly editted from the original. In other words it has been dumbed down for today's children. I hope that isn't true.

AnonymousCog said...

I don't think so. I mean the one I read wasn't abridged or edited. But I see a lot of books in the children section that have been dumbed-down. That is truly a crying shame.