11.08.2004

[Musings] Catch up...

I know I've been quiet for a bit. But you have to allow for the fact that the last two weeks have been unusual. From the elections (which was an emotional defeat for me) to the prospects of options that will change my future. I've been busy.

I've finished a couple of books:

Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn
Hard Contact by Karen Traviss (yeah I know I am on a Star Wars kick)

Still reading:
The Corporation
9/11 Commission Report (whew)
Globalization and its Discontents

My book reading has slowed down, but only because I have started reading more and more newspapers such as the City Pages, Star Tribune (online), NY Times (online), and Salon (online pdf daily download).

Now back to the election. I have nothing to say that probably hasn't been said by thousands of other bloggers or pundits. I am starting to come out of the shock of it and I am starting to come down from the anxiety I had. My wife and I were more politically active this year, than all the years of our lives combined. We volunteered, took part in the caucus, sent money, and became active in local DFL chapters. We met interesting people, got to know our local politicians and our candidates. I had experiences that have changed my life and I do not regret who I've helped campagin for, nor do I have regrets that I could have done more. I felt like I was part of something bigger. I do feel distraught that the second Presidential election that I took part in resulted in another Bush Presidenticy, which leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth and a bit of deja'vu. I pray the next four years are better than the last four and I really hope that the crazy economic and social policies I keep hearing about never come to pass.

No comments: