12.09.2004

[Musings] Switching jobs

Well I go and it is done. I am happy and looking forward to switching jobs. The last month has been a time of reflection and a time of looking forward. I have spent my entire adult life here at this location (not with the same company as half-way through my career here I was moved over to the out-sourcer). Almost 10 years. I have bucked the trend of being an IT professional who switched jobs every 1.5-3 years. That is not for me. Part of my job satisfaction is know the people with which I work and developing those relationships. I have been lucky in that respect. Sadly American Capitalism does not reward people who stay at a job for any length of time. Which is truly sad. Someone who spends 20 years somewhere, knows the company, the job, the people and so much more inside and out gets paid less than someone they hire of the street. This isnt right. But I digress. I am leaving because I am moving to a new city to be with my wife who is going to graduate school. I am excited about the new job. I am looking forward to the new challenges and the chance to meet new people. It will fufill a goal of mine to be working for a non-profit as well as being able to walk to work (I need the exercise).

I am sad to be leaving the people I have worked with for almost 10 years, but I look forward to the new environment.


4 comments:

Avindair said...

As a former co-worker all I can say is "Their loss." Your move has been a long, long time coming.

Lastly, sorry I missed your going-away bash. Here's hoping it was more stirring than mine.

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone! Cool site! The job search engines seems good and the internet jobs are endless. Maybe I will have a better directmatch searching for retail jobs,
since my keyword "customer care jobs" nor healthcare jobs did not fit as intended.
Glad I found you! Keep on keepin on!

Anonymous said...

John, hope all is well with your sales jobs search.
Maybe you can find finance jobs or engineering jobs at www.directmatch4free.com
Just make sure you come back to this site to let us know how you are doing in finding the 'it jobs" your looking for.

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone! Cool site! The job search engines seems good and the internet jobs are endless. Maybe I will have a better directmatch searching for retail jobs,
since my keyword "customer care jobs" nor healthcare jobs did not fit as intended.
Glad I found you! Keep on keepin on!