2.28.2005

[Books] My current reading list

House_of_Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski - strange, but so far good
Double Eagle by Dan Abnett - WWII-esque WH40K air combat
America (the book):__A_Citizen's_Guide_to_Democracy_Inaction by Jon Stewart - I suggest we add it to all high school American history cirricula
How_to_be_a_Villan:__Evil_Laughs,_Secret_Liars,_Master_Plans_and_More! by Neil Zawacki - self-help book
Zombie_Survival_Guide:__Complete_Protection_from_the_Living_Dead by Max Brooks - always be prepared for a level 3 zombie outbreak!


Recent DVD purchases:

Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick (uncut director versions) double pack - I was stranglely pleased by these movies.
I Heart Huckabees - best damn existential detective movie ever!
Shaun of the Dead - best romantic comedy involving zombies ever (tied with the Lost Skeleton of Cadavera)
Once Upon a Time in Mexico - guns, Johnny Depp, Cheech Marin, etc.
Go: Life Begins at 3am - old favorite


On my short list for DVD purchases:

Pi - math, mystery, existentialism
Buck Rogers - yes, they now sell all 32 episodes on DVD, this was one of my favorite shows in the 80s
The Avengers (Emma Peel Years) - if I can find it, possible b-day gift for my wife
Patlabor 1/2 the Movies - must have for me.

2 comments:

AllThingsSpring said...

>America (the book):__A_Citizen's_Guide_to_Democracy_Inaction by Jon Stewart - I suggest we add it to all high school American history cirricula

Only if we can add "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn first.

>Zombie_Survival_Guide:__Complete_Protection_from_the_Living_Dead by Max Brooks - always be prepared for a level 3 zombie outbreak!

I actually had this low down on my list at some point. I may have to borrow that sometime.

>Pi - math, mystery, existentialism

And let us not forget the game of Go being a key to the meaning of life!

>The Avengers (Emma Peel Years) - if I can find it, possible b-day gift for my wife

I'd love to pick this up myself, but it is so expensive.

---

Right now I'm reading:
"Powerdown: Options and Actions for a Post-Carbon World" by Richard Heinberg [very important, a must read]
"Beyond Fear" by Bruce Schneier
"Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism" by Susan Jacoby
"The Master of Go" by Yasunari Kawabata
"The Art of Cello Playing" by Louis Potter Jr.
"Beyond Growth" by Herman E. Daly
plus most of the stuff on my previous list

As for DVD, I plan on picking up "Primer", "Jacqueline du Pre in Portrait", "The End of Suburbia", and maybe the special edition of the short film "More".

Pernox said...

Yes Primer should be added to my list as well.