3.27.2005

[Thing] Monsieuer Le Chat

Monsieuer Le Chat is the name I gave a neighborhood cat that adopted us in St Paul. We actually do not know whose cat he is as we see him at various other houses on the block. He is a very urbane and street smart cat, very intelligent, very wise. He is a gray tabby with notched ears and a snaggle-tooth mouth that indicates he has had some trauma in his earlier years. He always amazes me. We live on a block that is zoned half-industrial, with large trucks terrorizing the roadways from 8am-5pm Monday-Friday. He knew to watch the street in both directions, and cross when there were no cars.

He was a constant companion in the summers while working in the garden. In the winter we would let him stay on our porch to warm up. We always fed him, the same stuff we fed our indoor cats (Science Diet). He's a good friend. We have known him for years. He has many names we have heard him called, 'Stray', 'Damn Cat', 'Shithead', but all in loving and joking tones. But to me he was 'Monsieur Le Chat.'

After we moved to Rochester, we do not spend much time at the house in St Paul. Basically waiting the winter out until spring when we will finish moving and sell the house.

Even though I have not seen him in almost four months. He still remembers me. I stood outside making a call on my cell phone (the lead paint on the old walls of the house make for poor signal). He came running across the the street to say 'hi'. We still have some food and his dish for when he used to visit. I spent some time with him and gave him some food. It was like catching up with an old friend. He stayed a while until his stomach was full and his need for attention met, then he disappeared like he always does into the night.

I will miss him, and I suspect he will miss us. He was one of those little things that will be missed from the old neighborhood.

No comments: