7.19.2005

[Religion] Ultra-$uper-Mega Church(c)(tm)(sm)

http://citypages.com/databank/26/1284/article13497.asp

This article disturbs me. Not because this church is a nexus point between Christianity and Capitalism (although that also disturbs me). It disturbs me because of the message the pastors are saying to their congregations.

But first, I must inject:

1) Patriotism is not a bad thing. (Note though that patriotism is NOT jingoism, it includes healthy debate and questioning the gov't, a lot if necessary. Wrapping your ass in an American flag and singing 'God Bless America' does not make you a patriot.)

2) Spirituality is not a bad thing. (Note though that spirituality does not equate to religion. One person's spirituality and relationship with (g/G)od(s) is a personal thing, not all people believe the same thing, and that's ok. Religion is when a large grow of people who share similar beliefs come together.)

3) You can support the troops and not the war.

4) You can question the President, see point 1). (and I seriously doubt he is doing (g/G)od(s)' work)

What disturbs me about this article is what the pastor's are saying. Specifically this point:


First we get the military, then we get the nation.

What is he implying? Is he implying that if we convert/subvert a national military, they will perform a military coup and institute a christian gov't (in essence a christian theocracy)?

Personally I want my military secular (like my government).

No comments: