12.17.2005

[Musings] Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto

Domo. b

Nacht des Nerd.

Sitting in the Bean Factory. Listening to Styx. Micky just left to grab some dinner. He and I have kind of started a tradition of meeting before I go to Nerd Night at the Bean Factory and just catching up. Micky is one of my oldest friends, all the way back to the days of high school. I consider him almost a brother.

The coffeeshop was full not two minutes ago and now it is empty. Weird.

Next up on the playlist 'Linus and Lucy' by the Vince Guaraldi Trio.

Last week was a blur. I am still processing all of what happened.

Been feeling a little uneasy due to all that has happened last week with politics. Something big is brewing, I can't place what yet, but something big. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Bush has seemingly gone 180 on a number of issues. WTF? The Senate thankfully blocked the Patriot Act renewal, but Bush says he will still personally authorize eavesdropping on private citizens with minimal justification. On the plus side torture has been outlawed, which really should never have been an issue, we used to set the global example on this sort of thing, the fact that we even had to have a discussion about the legality of torture is a great illustration of how far we as a nation have fallen.

Saw 'Aeon Flux'...ugh. Nothing like the cartoon. I am not surprised. I was kind of expecting to be disappointed since they annouced that Charlize Theron would be Aeon. 'Aeon Flux' was a cartoon that I felt would be difficult to translate into live action and I was proven right. None of the tension was there, too much was explained (the cartoon left a lot unsaid so that you had to work it out for yourself). I am looking forward to 'Underworld Evolution', I have a major weakness for Kate Beckinsdale in tight leather. I also want to see:

Syriana
Broke Back Mountain
Ice Harvest
King Kong


Oh another thing, if you ever find yourself in the situation of selling a house, do NOT allow FHA or VA loans. I know this will diminish your pool of available buyers, but it has been a god damn nightmare. We have attempted to close on the sale of our old house 5 times now and the FHA paperwork has fucked it up each time. Our house was advertised for sale 'AS IS', the buyers really wanted it, but in the 11th hour they converted their conventional loan into FHA, and it has been hell ever since.

Ah well.

1 comment:

celesathene said...

The unfortunate reality of us once setting the global example for human rights is that we never did. Or at least haven't for a long time. All (or almost) all other developed nations have ended capital punishment.

And to quote Jon Stewart, S. Africa recently allowed gays to marry. Which makes us less progressive than the country that brought us apartheid.