1.20.2006

[Music] Ok I admit it...

I miss the music of the mid-90s, the post-grunge, pre-totally commercial alternative music from 1993-1996. Back when you heard bands like Heather Nova, Cracker, Whale, and 'The Indians' on the radio.

I know this is the first sign of many that your are getting old, when the music you like is now over a decade old and appears on shows like 'The 90s at Noon'. But I felt 1992-1998 were the golden years of music for me. I loved Pearl Jam, The Breeders, Belly, Poe, Heather Nova, Nirvana, Blind Melon, Morphine and the like.

I miss that era.

5 comments:

AllThingsSpring said...

Belly,

DUDE! Belly was the worst band ever! Oh God! Only Steely Dan came anywhere close in the realms of suck!

Personally, I look back at that era and realize how crappy my tastes in music were at that age. Most of my album collection is unlistenable from that era, with a few standout albums.

Pernox said...

I disagree, but then again we've always had different tastes in music (except for the brief period of Pearl Jam, well and Astronaut Wife).

My music tastes have changed (getting even more into the trance, trip-hop, techno, ambient, and ecclectic), but I still enjoy the most music from that era.

Pernox said...

Yeah I was sad to hear when the lead singer overdosed, it would have been interesting to see how they would have progressed. Same with Nirvana.

AllThingsSpring said...

The world would have been better for it if Jeff Buckley had not drowned...

Astronaut Wife had one great song, a couple good songs, and a little eye candy. Not that much to write home about.

I cannot imagine Nirvana ending any way except in suicide (or in an alternate universe drug OD). Cobain was the candle burning at both ends.

My early-college days of music, rest in peace. Let grunge bands slip away. I'd rather resurrect JS Bach's works than Gavin Rossdale's anyday.

Avindair said...

Yep, you're getting old.

Don't feel bad. I got you beat. I still fondly remember The Little River Band and some -- gasp! -- Disco from when I was 12 in California.