6.09.2006

[Health] AIDS 25 years later

I know this is a little late as the 25th anniversary was June 5th. I remember when we first heard about AIDS in school, the fear, the uncertainty, the ignorance. I remember learning that is was a 'gay' disease. Major national effort (and money) was put into research and a lot of drug and biotech advances were made, and some of them even for HIV/AIDS research. I remember the PSAs. A person with AIDS can now live longer than ever before, though some argue about the quality of life as the drug cocktails are very specific and expensive. If you are in other parts of the world your treatment can be cheaper (Brazil, Inida) or devestatingly expensive (most of Africa). Somewhere along the road we lost focus on this major health concern. I recall the false hopes of vaccines that were announced on more than one occasion, but did not pan out. Generations of people are still dying of this epidemic, because American has lost focus on it, does not mean that it is gone.

I wish I could do something. I donate to the AIDS Walk and other foundations, I help dispell the myth that AIDS is a 'gay' disease. It affects us all, we are on starship Earth together. I weep.

No comments: