6.25.2008

books { shit lit that is only fit for throwing in a pit

Five of the shittiest books I've forced myself to finish because I started them:

(in no particular order)

*The Lost Fleet: Courageous by Jack Campell; derivative of about every other type of desperate fleet action book in this genre.
*World of Warcraft: Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden; bland, shallow, not terribly well written in my opinion.
*Zodiac: The Eco-Thriller by Neal Stephenson; I think the mistake I made with this book was I read his other works first, Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash, and the first book of the Quicksilver trilogy before attempting this one. I didn't like it at all.
*About half the Star Wars paperback novels ever written by various authors and I'm being generous.
*Moby Dick by Herman Mellville; I've read the first chapter about a dozen times and that is all the farther I can get. Maybe I'm being to harsh on this as its a classic. Or maybe it suffers from what Mark Twain said about classics "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read." And I read War and Peace, cover to cover.

No comments: