4.28.2005

[Poem] Ode to a cup of Coffee

Coffee

nectar of the gods

that which brings the mind awake and causes the hands to shake

so good in so many ways

espresso, mocha, straight-up, iced

fair-trade

home brewed

caffine, caffine, caffine

sweet bitterness when alone

bitter sweetness when combined

sugar

milk

syrup

other things nice

too much and the mind won't rest

not enough and the pain's a pest

tea is not so much for me (though it is quite nice)

I'd much prefer a cup of coffee.

2 comments:

AllThingsSpring said...

Obligatory quote:

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains.
The stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Coffee is a harsh mistress. It brings wakefulness but also the shakes and I'm certain it rots the innards. Caffeine is a monkey on my back. Still, its better than slumbering through life.

celesathene said...

According to the propoganda in song form I learned as a 2nd grader,

'C-o-f-f-e-e
is not for me!
It's the thing that people wake up with.
Makes them nervous is no myth.
Slave to a coffee cup,
they can't give coffee up!'

Oh if only I heeded that cautionary song back when I was 8.