7.24.2006

Music/Tech { 3am iTunes

Discovered last night around 3am when I couldn't sleep that iTunes Music Store (which I only use now for music that is hard to find or I simply want a single song on a otherwise crappy CD), that it has a Beta 'May we suggest' section. My music tastes are ecclectic and varied so I spent the next hour and half seeing what it would suggest. There were a lot of duplicates and a few that made no sense (like Britany Spears), it also suggested some death metal stuff I'll pass on (H.I.M.). But in the process I learned a bit about myself.

1. I cannot be quantified. I am a markerting exec's nightmare form hell. My tastes range from the very obscure to the latest pop, and change fast.

2. My taste in music while running in veins where stuff often sounds familiar, is not really like that. The sounds of the cross-section of what I listen to ranges from accoustic folky to completely artificial euro-trash disco.

3. I like a lot of music that cannot be found in mainstream outlets (Best Buy, Target, even on occasion iTunes) and some cannot even be found at local record stores that specialize in that stuff like Electric Fetus and Deaf Ear (although Rasputin's in SF was amazingly well stocked). This stems from the local bands, obscure european, alternative japanese music that I tend to favor. Also MN is a techno wasteland, where there is no techno radio station, and only a handful of places even play techno (Kitty Cat Klub has a DJ who does techno).

4. 1993-1997 were my favorite years for music.

No comments: