5.12.2006

[Musings] American Culture...deep as a mud puddle

Just commenting on something I have noticed since cancelling cable. People here do not have much to talk about besides what happened last night on TV. How vapid. I realized this when I was in a remote class this week surrounded by other IT people. The topics that often arouse, when asked 'what did you do last night?', the answer, with 80% accuracy was, 'watched X on TV.'

Damn, come on we have better things to talk about. The top three things most discussed at an American workplace I am willing to bet is:

1. TV
2. the weather
3. sports

I care very little about all three, which means I often used to find it hard to talk to co-workers, or worse I am avoided since I do not watch TV. Or rather used to, at my new job most of my co-workers are like me and cancelled TV, or simply just don't watch it. It is kind of refreshing topics most often do not revolve around the top three. I feel lucky. We talk about politics (in small doses), books, activities, food, etc.

Wake up America, TV enslaves you, controls you, pollutes your mind. Turn it off, go outside, read a book, play a video game, take a walk.

I re-iterate that since dropping TV my mind feels clearer and cleaner. It also challenges me to figure out ways to have conversations with others that do not revolve around TV.

No comments: