5.15.2006

[Relgion] BattleCry and why it scares me

"Only a sith deals in absolutes." - Obi-Wan Kenobi, Revenge of the Sith

UPDATE (5/16/2006): Ok so I've slept on this and spoke with some friends. I don't redact what I've said. I still believe that such gatherings serve no purpose other than to promote an agenda of passive hatred and intolerance, but as a friend points out, becoming outraged over this only serves their purposes. Outraged should be saved for the real Hitler Youth, and not these gatherings. A lot of my reaction centers on my distrust of organized religion and their apparent abuse of power. I also feel frustrated that we have moved into an irrational post-modern world, where no amount of reason, evidence, or discussion can change people's minds. Two-way debate is apparently dead. How do we re-open channels to discussion, where we can agree to disagree, and accept other's views, religion, feelings, orientations, strenghts and weaknesses?

One other point I need to make. They have a right to their freedom of speech and their freedom of beliefs, just like I have my right to criticism them. That is the beauty of the rapidly evaporating Bill of Rights. It provides a framework for people with difference to co-exist, that is as long as both sides respect the other's rights and freedoms, something that is disappearing rapidly from this country. So BattleCry members, wrap yourselves in whatever blanket of comfort you need, just know that there will be those who contradict you and they are not sinners and they may not even be your enemy.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20060511_battle_cry_theocracy/

Holy shit.

I mean really, holy shit.

“This is war. And Jesus invites us to get into the action, telling us that the violent—the ‘forceful’ ones—will lay hold of the kingdom.” - Ron Luce, founder BattleCry

“I will keep my eyes on the battle, submitting to Your code even when I don’t understand..." - Ron Luce, founder BattleCry

You know I was once Catholic until I was 11, then Atheist until 24, now I am quasi-Agnostic. I now have my own form of spirituality, as I found nothing in religion, science, or philosphy to classify my understanding of faith in life, the universe, and everything. I am not violent, but I have to say things like this want me to violence. To see the youth of this country so deluded and brainwashed by the mis-interpreted and twisted dogma of the extremist/fundamentalist evangelical agenda really upsets me.

When I was a Catholic, our Priest spoke of tolerance, acceptance, and love for everyone, even those who do not like you or agree with you, we were 'all God's children'.

When I was an athiest, I tried to be a decent human being. Treating others with respect and accepting different view points.

I feel to each their own, as long as their own does not interfere with my liberty or life. This interferes. This interferes in a big way.

Smoke some pot all of you BattleCry memebers, have some sex (or masturbate) and lighten the fuck up. Seriously, you guys seem like the Hitler Youth movement. Wrapped in American flags and spouting your intrepetation of the Bible and preaching your version of the 'final solution'. You are no different a religious zealot than the extremist fundamentalists of islam who see to have the rule of islam forcefully installed on the world. Have we reverted back 1000 years to the time of the Crusades?

It is not hard to imagine in a few years we have a open police state (we have a hidden one currently) where you are imprisioned without question for not towing the religious party line.

On a side note, troops to the border of Mexico??? WTF?

2 comments:

Simon said...

You have to feel sorry for them - they were brainwashed. They're not smart enough to see the truth, like you.

Zophorian said...

I dig the post-modern irrational world we are coming into. The one thing that I think it needs is a universal subscription to 'weak thought' or at least all of those that don't subscribe to rule out violence and aggression in cases of ideological, religious or political difference. The idea is that people can believe anything they want but that we HAVE to agree to disagree and not think that any position is superior to any other.

Science & technology (and secularism) scare me as much as religion scares you. They are good in doses and good when they are not insisting that they are the 'way' (the truth and the light). That science and technology purport themselves as THE TRUTH is as scary for me as religion claiming The Truth is for you.

As for a religious police state: don’t get too worried. If it weren’t for this president I would swear we were in store for the opposite—a government and society that rejected and snubbed everything non-scientific and rational. And for me a government and society that is intolerant is much worse than a police state. The Nazi’s had a police state and still there was a healthy resistance. An intolerant society is much more repressive as far as I am concerned.