10.14.2006

Musings { The Art of War of Intolerance

Last night nerdwife and I went to the Twin Cities to see a play, 'Mrs. Man of God' directed by a close friend of ours Blayne Lemke. This play is about a 'man who loves a man who is in love with God'. It is a powerful and moving story about a gay couples life in the church told from the perspective of the partner to pastor. It was part of a GLBT in the clergy conference. The backdrop of the play was wall of stoles of clergy who've had their creditentials revoked for being gay. At this play I encountered friends I have not seen for years, from praxis, from when we used to go to plays, from the UMC, from United Theologian Seminary (where nerdwife studied for a time). We were greeted and embraced warmly and it was shown we were not forgotten and are still loved dearly. I still love these people. They showed me that religion does not have to be a tool of hate and oppression. They actively go out into the world with messages of tolerance, acceptance, understanding, and love. Love regardless of what you believe. This is the group of people who founded praxis, something that we were a part of for many years. Praxis did not convert me from Atheism, but it did shift my perception on religion, spirituality, acceptance, tolerance, wealth, love, politics, and understanding. At praxis we had communists and conservatives, atheists and pagans and catholics, many races, many ages, many sexual orientations, many genders, all coming together not to worship perse, but have a dialogue about spirituality, community, faith (which I posit is different than spirituality), religion (personal and organized), wealth, service and how to live together. Seeing these people brought back memories of praxis and it recharged my spiritual batteries so to speak.

I returned to Rochester with a feeling I have not felt in a long time. A feeling of hope. A feeling that the good fight is still being fought and should be.

The work yet to be done was illustrated this morning when nerdwife and I went out in Rochester for a cup of coffee and an pastry. In the back, as if often the case at this place, a heated discussion of politics was raging between two professional types. The crux of the argue was about the 'liberal' flogging of the Foley case for their own ends and why of all the scandals they picked did they pick the sex one? This sent me thinking. Rochester, even being the home of the Mayo Clinic, a world class organization devoted to the art and science of healing, is a very intolerant place. It is a conservative stronghold in an increasing purple state. Homosexuals and people of different races are not well tolerated by the residents, which seem at odds with the international stature of the city. Many are well educated and wealthy (many upper-middle class/upper class) residents, who seem socially liberal (focus on education, charity, volunteer work, etc.) yet are financially quite conservative (will tithe to church, will donate to charities, but will not accept increases in taxes). "Liberal", "Democrat", "Gay", "Atheist", "Communist" are dirty evil words here. No one is openly hostile against anyone as is the passive-aggressive nature of Minnesotans in general. But the hate and intolerance is there, festering just under the surface. You can't see it if you look directly at it, but you can catch it out of the corner of your eye, at a glance.

Don't let me seem like I am condemning everyone out of hand. A lot of good does happen here as well, Mayo and IBM do help those in need, they invest a lot back into their communities, generosity does flow outward. But it is amazing with all of this, that hatred, intolerance, fear, and paranoia exists. Well-groomed, and hidden. I call this intolerance when I can, I was instantly labeled 'the liberal', 'cosmopolitan', 'elitist', etc. when I arrived in town, labels I wear with pride. Its ironic, me, a farm boy from east-central Minnesota, whose only international travel has been to Thuder Bay Canada, has been labeled 'cosmopolitan'. I digress. I try not to actively convert people, because that is not what I am about. But I serve as an example, a counter-point, a presence. It has met with some success. If only one person has changed their perception about the larger world, I will have considered myself lucky. There are liberals, progressives, as well as those of non-traditional orientations here. A lot more than perhaps many of the ultra-conservative elements would like to believe. They have formed into close-knit groups who are, in my opinion doing good where they can. They are just not open about it, which down here is more of a survival trait than lack of will.

I guess this post has drifted in many directions, and the title is more a 'shocker' than anything. I am going to try and remember my friends in praxis and what we tried to accomplish in the years we were together. I am going to try and become more tolerant. I did not realize how far I drifted. This place has that effect, it wears you down like a stone slowly grinding on you.

I can sense a change in the wind, but I can't yet tell if it is for the better or for the worse.

No comments: