10.20.2006

Ouch { Contractors in Rochester

So as part of the carpeting, we were referred to a small-time carpenter who loves 'small jobs'. I like the people who did our carpet so I decided to call this carpenter. He came over and took measurements, we said we wanted to have a 1" high trim board installed around the base of the wall, stained if possible to the color of the existing trim on the doors. He said no problem, he would get me back a quote in a few days.

I got the quote today.

$1100.00

I had priced the material at Home Depot, and it would cost around $60 for the pre-made finished trim boards along the lines of what we are looking for, a little more to factor in the nails and my time to install. A good rule of thumb generally for accepting a work bid is 2xmaterials cost, that would have meant the quote should have been around $120-180. I had the quote done not because I probably couldn't muddle myself through this, but because I am running under budget and could spend $200 on professional work (as opposed to amatuer work that I do).

$1100 is an insult to my intelligence. Its also a rip off. A co-worker had a similar experience (not the same company) where they quoted $30000.00 to remodel his basement (a job that only cost $2000). He was livid and when he asked why they said it was because the job was too small. I find that insulting. Just say the job is too small and say 'no bid' and walk away. Giving out outrageous quotes accomplishes nothing save the fact that I will never again consider you. We had a lot of carpentry work planned for next year (deck, some new doors, etc.). You can guarentee we will never use you.

This has been a major irk of mine since coming to Rochester. The contractors in this town come in two flavors, good and expensive, bad and expensive. The contractors who have worked the best for us were found via word of mouth. They generally didn't advertise. But the ones in the phonebook are almost crooks.

There is a huge housing boom in Rochester (which I think is finally starting to slow down) so contractors have a lot of work now. This will not always be the case and many will soon be wishing for the 'small jobs'. Don't screw potential and future customers with insulting quotes.

No comments: