2.11.2007

Boycott { Mars Corporation and NFL

Makers of Snickers brand tooth decay accelerate among others. During the super-bowl they aired an ad that promoted violence against gays and lesbians and directed you to their website to vote and it also showed NFL player reactions to the ads. These ads were endorsed by the NFL and carried their logo. This was not accidental inconsideration, these ads were designed on purpose. The Mars family are major contributors to the Republican party.

I haven't really eaten much candy since I entered my 30s, mainly because my tolerance for things sickly sweet is diminishing rapidly, so I already am not giving them any money. But their corporation makes many, many things, so I will be checking the labels carefully from now on.

3 comments:

AllThingsSpring said...

I've recently begun a purge of Proctor and Gamble products, for their support of a number of right-wing think-tanks (Colbert: belief tanks). That one is much harder because P&G makes EVERYTHING.

Pernox said...

Unilever will also be tough. But I am about to a point of boycotting them because of their advertising practices and the annoying Axe commercials (and I don't watch TV so that should speak to how ubiquitous and annoying they are).

AllThingsSpring said...

If my annoyance with company advertising were a major criterion, there would barely be a product left that I would buy.