9.11.2006

9/11 { remembrance of a Liberal

I remember 9/11. It was a beautiful September morning. Cool with a sharp azure blue sky. I was happy. I woke up, showered and went through the normal morning routine. The gears of the world and my life moved as normal. I turned on MPR and caught a newscast mid-stream, it didn't make any sense and I was only half-paying attention distracted by some thought. Then I heard that a plane flew into the World Trade Center. I stopped and thought, as many did that morning what a horrible accident. I drove to work listening to the confused news reports. When I arrived at work, they had rolled out a TV and set it to the news. While we watched a second plane hit the other tower. It was no longer random, we were under attack. I remember the fear, confusion, anger, apathy, sadness, and sympathy for those killed on myself and my co-workers. I remember the weeks following it, when we as a nation came together to help, much in the same way we as a nation pulled together for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. And by we I don't mean the government, I mean the citizens. The government after 9/11 saw an opportunity to co-opt power and shamelessly pursued its own agenda of empire building after making token efforts to retaliate. The 'War on Terror' started, but little did we know the terror would come from our government who has kept the American public in varying states of confusion and fear since that terrible day in September.

I suggest you read Joan Walsh's salon.com article 'What We Lost' as it sums up my feelings on this subject well and she is a far better writer than I.

I hope we the people can survive this.

1 comment:

Avindair said...

Thanks for the link.

I remember 9/11/2001 so vividly as to be like yesterday.

I think I need to write about it while I still can.