4.12.2007

musings { spring

I read Knight of Nothing's post about how busy he is and it made me reflect about my own situation. I'm busy as hell as well. But then again I've been 'go' since about six months after starting my job here in Rochester. Upon deeper reflection, I've been busy for as long as I've been an 'adult'. The last nine months especially have been busier than usual. DST patching was a stone-cold bitch. Now that it is over, the deluge of projects that backed up behind it have released. Everyone's trying to get things in both before the summer, when the budget traditionally starts to get sliced and in case the rumored code freeze happens. The nice thing is your mind can only process so much, it varies by person, but you reach that certain point where adding one more thing to the pile isn't any worse from a workload perspective or mental health one either. Its just another voice in a chorus of people who want your time, resources, advice, etc.

I've also ramped my personal life up quite a bit, which I need to watch to make sure I don't over-commit. But that is always a see-saw, I'm either bored off my ass with nothing to do, or missed chances, or I have too many things I want to do all at once. I think this is why I make my weekends Sacrosanct, or try to, I'm bad at it. Someday perhaps I will find that balance.

There are quite a few things I want to do this year:

*learn bass guitar, this has been one of those 12 year plans
*get my Nox D&D campaign setting fleshed out enough to run players through at least one adventure
*clear out a large majority of my 'to-read' bookshelf
*write more, especially creative writing and possibly philosophical shit, good shit
*go back to school and start picking off those classes toward my graduation
*see Europe
*get through 1/2 of my 90 deep Netflix queue
*decaffeinate (working on this, so far I've only had 3 caffeinated cups of coffee in the last 3 weeks), not completely, just enough to sleep better
*lose 10 pounds (I set a goal for 20 last year, but only accomplished 5) or fight into an old 'goal' pair of pants I have, whichever comes first, if 10 pounds is reached, I'll try for 20
*fish at least once per week, I almost accomplished this last year
*clean out the garage and reduce what I have in general by about 20%
*get a new car (my Saturn laser chicken is starting to show its age)
*start a book club for sci-fi

I hope I can make these happen with a work schedule that promises to be 45-65 hours/week at points. There's also politics. But following politics and news have been what I've sacrificed lately. I play WoW, and have a new set of friends there, I also try to integrate that into my life too. I know I play a little more than I have time for, but, its what I want to do right now at this point in my life. I'm probably addicted, but I've played video games I know the signs for when too much is enough and to tone it down.

2 comments:

Tedj said...

Hang in there dude.

Knight of Nothing said...

Always bite off more than you can chew. Take on too many projects and nurture too many ambitions. It beats the alternative, hands down. Dream big, amigo!

I never knew you liked fishing. Cool.

Good luck with everything! Talk to you soon.